Thursday, January 12, 2012

The wisdom of Frederick Douglass

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."
Frederick Douglass (1818-1895)

I am animated and abashed by this plaintively optimistic outlook on education and the reality of life for too many Americans, as true and as urgent right now as it was in Douglass' century.

Frederick Douglass bio on Wikipedia


And another note on this charismatic man, born a slave, a mesmerizing orator, a celebrity social reformer and the first black man to be nominated for Vice President of the United States: Douglass was separated from his mother at a very young age. In his "Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass, an American slave. Written by himself" (1851), he wrote: "I do not recollect ever seeing my mother by the light of day. ... She would lie down with me, and get me to sleep, but long before I waked she was gone."

I don't think I can get that memory out of my mind.

A few of my posts on education:
Some children left behind...
The wisdom of Malcolm Forbes
The wisdom of Jonathan Kozol


Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2012 All rights reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment