Sunday, August 5, 2012

ahhhh! ....... a real bookstore

Just didn't want to miss a chance to say that wandering through a real bookstore is an afternoon delight...

I mean the kind of bookstore that doesn't have a clothing section and 8 checkout registers and employees with job titles like "barrista"......

I really don't mind at all when I have to get down on one knee and sort of turn my head upside down to read the titles of the American history books that are stacked wrong side up on the bottom shelf behind the rickety shelving that's labeled "Poetry" and "Classical Arts" with little hand-lettered labels that were taped on but are starting to peel off in all directions....

I love the chance to actually handle the "special" books in the locked case behind the owner's cluttered desk, the ones that are, let's be honest, overpriced, but every once in a while I buy one because the temptation to own a musty 1866 copy of sermons delivered by notable churchmen after the assassination of President Lincoln is just too much to ignore....

See, Barnes & Noble is never going to carry that one....and I don't think it would be all that easy to download it to my Kindle.

Awright,  you got me, I have a Kindle, I've used it, I kind of feel OK reading books on that puppy, I know it's the 21st century and all...

But, here's the clincher for me:  no matter how close I hold that Kindle to my nose, it's never going to smell like that book of sermons calling on the Almighty to bless his servant, Old Abe....

No comments:

Post a Comment