Thursday, June 4, 2015

Sgt. Pepper….almost 50 years old


Way back in 1967, the Beatles released “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.”



As it turned out, almost everybody enjoyed the show.

Rolling Stone says it’s the Greatest Album Of AllTime. I know some Sinatra-lovers are gonna argue with that, and Ella fans and David Bowie fans and all the holdout Beethoven-philes aren’t going to take that for gospel….

My personal vote is for “Belafonte Sings the Blues,” but that’s personal, I’m just saying….




When “Sgt. Pepper” hit the stores, on June 1, 1967,  Bob Dylan reportedly told Paul McCartney “Oh I get it, you don’t want to be cute anymore.”

Thirty years later Sir James Paul McCartney talked about what the album meant to the Fab Four: “We were not boys, we were men…all that screaming, we didn’t want any more.”










I don’t want to have to listen to anybody who says he can name his “favorite” Beatles song, hell, most of them are favorites, always have been.

Still, I take this chance to mention that “She’s Leaving Home” on the Sgt. Pepper lineup is possibly the most sensitive, terrifyingly sad, crystalline, poetically lachrymose song ever sung or listened to….after your mouth moves with the final words “…she’s leaving home, bye bye…” you just can’t go back to what you were doing before you started listening to it….




By the way, Rolling Stone says the No. 2 album Of All Time is the Beach Boys’ “Pet Sounds,” I’ll be honest, I never heard of it before I read the list, guess I was listening to too much Belafonte in 1966….
















Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment