Monday, March 7, 2016

Lay down, Sally....redux


Eric Clapton (b. 1945)

Rolling Stone called him the 2nd greatest guitarist of all time. And he had a deft touch with lyrics, as in:

  
     Lay down, Sally, and rest you in my arms.
     Don't you think you want someone to talk to?
     Lay down, Sally, no need to leave so soon.
     I've been trying all night long just to talk to you.

Watch this 1988 performance in San Francisco, with Clapton and Mark Knopfler doing the guitar work, groovin', laughing quietly, just from the pleasure of it…



This is a dreamy, luscious version of "Lay Down, Sally." I love it, I've shared it with a few friends. I realize that the reason I don't know much about Eric Clapton is not that I never liked his music, it's just that I never listened to him before. That's going to change now.

In this YouTube world, there are lots of versions of "Lay Down, Sally" out there…

If you can listen to this one without feeling wistful, and without feeling like you wouldn't want to love Sally unless she loved you back, and without actually throbbing with Clapton's lilting mojo, then I can't really talk to you anymore.









Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2016 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment