Saturday, January 7, 2012

Movie review: "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" with Gary Oldman


2011     Rated R    2 hrs 8 mins
Directed by Tomas Alfredson
Written by John le Carre, based on his book

OK, I've read some of the reviews, differing opinions make the world go 'round…


For me, this British spy biggie is a class act. It's atmospheric, tense, obviously dark…….and a great mystery to me.

George Smiley (Gary Oldman) got it, but I didn't get it. The bad spy is outed in the movie's climax, but not because of any clues that got through to me.

John le Carre















Many years ago I started watching the "original" 1979 series with Alec Guinness, I recall that my wife and I gave up on that one pretty quickly.

I guess I'm just a sequential plot lover. I'm happy when the story begins, builds step by step to the climax, and then, if possible, I get the very slightly exotic denouement to cap a pleasant dramatic experience.

Perhaps I expect too little from a film. I can live with that.

"Tinker, Tailor…" is a class act, give it a try, maybe you can figure it out…

"Tinker, Tailor.." on imdb.com
Ditto on Rotten Tomatoes



Gary Oldman bio

Some reviews of “Tinker, Tailor….
From washingtonpost.com:
New York Times review

No comments:

Post a Comment