Sunday, May 20, 2012

The wisdom of the old farmer....(part 4)


"You cannot unsay a cruel word."

Overheard in the old farmer's barn

This one is a dagger in my heart. A cruel word is a dreadful weapon……and the unintended cruel word pierces, through and through, and it hurts the speaker more, if the speaker has a heart.

I have had such a searing cruel word in my mind, in my memory, in my heart, for many years. I know the old farmer is right. I have apologized to the one I love, whom I so cruelly and casually wounded so long ago…..that did not unchain me from my memory……I was repentant but not relieved…


Recently I have realized that a kind of expiation is possible…I'll have to wait a few more years, but I can bear it….in time, I know that I can remove this dagger, I can turn it into a fragile missile of love, I can toss it to a beautiful child and I know that will make the child laugh, and make a father happy, and make a somewhat lighter burden for a remorseful old man…

No comments:

Post a Comment