Friday, June 21, 2013

The wisdom of Abraham Lincoln (part 8)


"The things I want to know are in books;
      my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read."

Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
16th President of the United States

Now, I ain't got any doubts that this here is pure Lincoln, Old Abe weren't no stickler fer grammer when he was a young man….


Books was a summat scant commoditee then, in those parts where the Railsplitter was livin' in his early years.

So I ain't feeling like there's any reason to think this is anythin' but the whole truth, as a youngish country lawyer in Illinois might have spoken it.

So, you go on, do like me, do honor to Mr. President Lincoln's memory, be a friend and give a friend a book.

Some of the things your friend wants to know are in books.








No comments:

Post a Comment