Monday, February 24, 2014

“ . . . Take heart with the day . . . “


“ . . . Take heart with the day and begin again.”

Sarah Chauncey Woolsey (1835-1905)
American poet and writer of children’s books

Maybe you’re like me and you never heard of “Susan Coolidge.” That was the nom de plume of Sarah Chauncey Woolsey, a New England socialite who died more than 100 years ago.


She was a nurse during the Civil War, and thereafter commenced her prolific writing career, notably as the author of several “What Katy did . . .” books for kids.

Perhaps her poetry is under-appreciated. It certainly was by me.

I like this excerpt from “New Every Morning,” written in the 19th century:

“Every day is a fresh beginning,
  Listen my soul to the glad refrain.
  . . . Take heart with the day and begin again.”



I spotted it on the blog A Year Of Being Here      http://www.ayearofbeinghere.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment