Sunday, September 6, 2015

Not your daddy’s bookshelf


When somebody mentions “a few books on the little table in the music room,” this is what comes to my mind:




When I read an old book, I can imagine the reader in a previous era who spent some time with eyes and fingers on the same pages. I guess that reader didn’t think of the book as a time traveler, or of me as a kindred spirit taking similar enjoyment and learning from the author’s work.

A 100-year-old book has so much more connective energy than a 100-year-old milk bottle or a 100-year-old chair. An old book smells better, too.

In about 92 years, a 100-year-old book is going to have so much more connective energy than a 100-year-old Kindle. Better smell, too.









Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment