Thursday, July 19, 2012

The wisdom of Robert Nathan


"There is no distance on this earth as far away as yesterday."
Robert Nathan (1894-1985)

American novelist and poet

I have so many cascading reactions to this quotation that it's hard to organize some personal comments……

I think it is fundamentally an exaggeration, and a somewhat dangerous one at that: realistically, "yesterday" is as close as anyone wants it to be, in memory… and way too many "yesterdays" linger as "todays" in hearts and minds that may be energized by love, or by other humors…

Still….for each of us, ultimately, we have no choice but to accept Nathan's dictum. I had my chance at life yesterday, I took my swings, I danced my dance, I tried to say what I meant to say, I wanted it to be a good day, already I've forgotten a lot of it.…the cascade overwhelms me…..Nathan didn't mention that yesterday's joys and regrets can remain very close…..


The wisdom of Dr. Seuss

A thought from Havelock Ellis


...and Mae West chips in two cents....

No comments:

Post a Comment