Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Hug a poet


This month is National Poetry Month. I bet you didn’t know that.

Some Americans have celebrated National Poetry Month for the past 19 years, during which the number of folks who admit they’ve “read a poem in the last year” has dropped by more than 50 percent. Just wondering now, is there a National Twitter Month?....

The national Survey of Public Participation in the Arts, conducted by the Census Bureau, reports that the only artsy experience that’s less popular than reading poetry is attending the opera.

I’ve had good experiences at the opera, but I admit I haven’t seen one for quite a long time.

I’m rather keen on reading poetry, which places me in the exotically tiny 6.7 percent of Americans who can remember reading a poem in the past 12 months.

Neither the Census Bureau nor folks in the poetry game have a solid explanation for the decline of enjoyment in reading poems.





I guess lots of folks just enjoy lots of other stuff lots more.







Along the lines of Joyce Kilmer’s “I think that I shall never see/A poem lovely as a tree…”














l


Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment