Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The wisdom of Marcel Proust (part 2)


"The only real voyage of discovery
              consists not in seeking new landscapes,
                                but in having new eyes."
Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
French novelist, critic, essayist

This penetrating epigram from Proust caught my eye because I have attained the elevated and energized status of grandfather-hood, and I am repeatedly re-learning the thrill of trying to see with the eyes of my granddaughter.





We walk in the woods, and we touch the huge oak tree, and I vainly try to remember the first time I touched the rough bark of a grand old tree, and we tilt our heads back to look at the topmost branches, and I try, consciously, to experience the notion of "sky high," because I think that's what she is doing…..

Oh yes indeed, I have "new eyes"…….



No comments:

Post a Comment