Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Everyone should vote, maybe….


A nytimes.com columnist bravely called for universal participation at the polls in a thoughtful piece yesterday….

….but I’m reminding myself that one often should be careful about what one wishes for….


Charles Blow makes his case that everyone should vote, in a starkly realistic piece about “voter frustration with Washington.”

I have believed for several years that America’s 238-year flirtation with republican democracy has been a very sad failure. In the past I too advocated 100% voter participation, even entertaining the Australian notion of levying a fine on folks who don’t vote.

But, lately, as I slowly understand more and more about the disinterest and disdain so many folks feel about politics and the social contract, I've begun to fear that the votes of all the apathetic, uninformed citizens might not produce the beneficial result that I optimistically imagined until a short while ago....

My optimism about democracy and the future of our democracy is getting pretty thin….
  




No comments:

Post a Comment