Saturday, January 10, 2015

The wisdom of Jonathan Swift (part 2)


"Party is the madness of many, for the gain of the few."
Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)

Swift wrote this in 1727, long before the incarnation of modern political parties.


No surprise—it doesn’t seem like parties have changed much since Swift took a dislike to them.

Personally, I recently abandoned a lifelong willingness to identify with a particular party (Republican when I was younger, more recently the Democratic variety), and declared myself “Unenrolled” in the stuffy language of my political bailiwick.

I’ve never pulled the party lever on election day, or anything like that, I’ve voted for folks from both parties….


I just couldn’t see myself anymore as a “loyal” member of a party that doesn’t stand potently for a lot of the things I believe.

I didn’t change my political stripe. I clarified my position and my commitment.

I’m not a Democrat any more. I’m a progressive liberal, in search of a future that’s better than the 
present.

I’m opposed to the “madness of many.”


Note: Alexander Pope (1688-1744) expressed the same sentiment in a 1714 letter: “…hoping a total end of all the unhappy divisions of mankind by party-spirit, which at best is but the madness of many for the gain of a few.”







Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment