Friday, November 13, 2015

Poetry and such….


Whispers is a poetry website that offers quite a range of poetic talent and styles, check it out here:

The editor, Karen O’Leary, has accepted a few of my poems for publication:

A couple months ago I offered these couplets for a monthly exercise featured on Whispers:

Drifters
Holding hands, we drift to dreams and easy sleep,
our touching is a grace of love, this long embrace is ours to keep. 


First Words
He’s in full voice, it fills the ear,
the sounds of love are what we hear.



I’m not sure if there’s something on the Whispers website for every taste, but I imagine it reflects many expressions of contemporary poetry.

I’ll mention a personal quibble with the haiku poets who don’t follow any obvious pattern of phrasing and syllable count and word count, although I’m quite willing to accept different strokes for different folks.

I choose to strictly follow the “traditional” haiku constraints of three lines with 5-7-5 syllable counts—I think that choosing to write in the minimalist haiku genre implies a readiness to adopt the pattern that creates a frame of reference and a stylistic discipline for this poetic style. I suggest that a collection of very short poem-like phrases with no common elements, and with seemingly random line lengths and word counts, and with obscurely disjoint words, is indeed a collection of very short poem-like phrases, but not a style.









Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015 All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment