Thursday, November 5, 2015

The art of Robert Louis Stevenson (part 2)



Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson (1850-1894)
Scottish novelist, poet, all-purpose writer, composer


If you had a childhood and if you can read, likely you need no introduction to Robert Louis Stevenson or some of his justly famous books:
Treasure Island.
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
The Master of Ballantrae.

Did you know he was a poet? A composer?

Stevenson at 7

Stevenson wrote nearly 250 poems, some of them as lighthearted as this excerpt from “My Shadow,” part of his “Child’s Garden of Verses” collection:

“I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
 And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
 He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
 And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.”







Stevenson played piano and flageolet (a variety of the fipple flute, some similarities to a recorder), and he wrote almost 125 original compositions for those instruments and for clarinet, violin, guitar and mandolin.

He was a writer for all seasons, and is widely popular among non-English-speaking readers. Around the world, only 25 writers have been translated more than Stevenson.








Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment