Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Let’s all sing “Purple Haze”


Let’s all think about singing “Purple Haze,” or not, as the case may be.

I think you can’t forget the first time you heard Jimi sing it.

If you have lost track of that memory, you might as well stop reading here because the rest of this little homage isn’t going to make much sense to you.

Hendrix wrote it before he was popular in the United States, on December 26, 1966, in his dressing room backstage at the Uppercut Club in London.

After trying to become a solo artist for two unremarkable years in New York, Hendrix was discovered by a British producer and he moved to England, where he formed The Jimi Hendrix Experience and had a UK hit in the form of “Hey Joe.” A few days after it was released, he wrote “Purple Haze” and you know the story after that.

The PH lyrics really don’t set my mind on fire, but that’s not important because Jimi was burning every time he sang it. Here’s an early version in 1967 and here’s his Woodstock rendition in 1969.



Try to read all the way to the end of the lyrics, and keep in mind that Rolling Stone kissed “Purple Haze” with a No. 17 ranking on its 2004 listing of “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.”

Yeah, I know, me too, “…blowing my mind…”....

Purple Haze

Purple haze, all in my brain
Lately things they don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why
Excuse me while I kiss the sky
Purple haze, all around
Don't know if I'm comin' up or down
Am I happy or in misery?
What ever it is, that girl put a spell on me
Help me
Help me baby
Oh no, Oh no
Ooo, ahhh
Ooo, ahhh
Ooo, ahhh
Ooo, ahhh, yeah!
Purple haze all in my eyes
Don't know if it's day or night
You got me blowin', blowin' my mind
Is it tomorrow, or just the end of time?
Ooo
Help me
Ahh, yea-yeah, purple haze
Oh, no, oh
Oh, help me
Tell me, tell me, purple haze
I can't go on like this
Purple haze
You're makin' me blow my mind
Purple haze, n-no, nooo
 







Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment