Sunday, April 15, 2012

Google goggles: I'm agog…


I don't think it was inevitable but I guess the phrase "just around the corner" has to fit in somewhere here….seems that Google is developing "futuristic, internet-connected glasses" that will put your friend's Facebook page or a nearby restaurant's menu on the lens of your eyeware as you're strolling down the street…

Now, I'm not an early adopter of new technology….for a long time I thought of my first mobile phone as "the car phone" because the only reason I could think of for actually using it was in case of actual emergency when I was actually on the road…that's changed now, of course, but still I use my cell phone almost exclusively for making phone calls, I don't text, I don't check my email on my phone, I don't shop or post to Facebook on my phone, but I do take pictures of my granddaughter, and that's a good thing.

Anyhoo, the Google goggles that connect you to the world…

I really don't need to know how far away my friends are as we're converging on our rendezvous, I don't need to do a hands-free check on how tall the Eiffel Tower is while I'm out hiking and I don't need Google snooping on my whereabouts 24/7 by capturing the image flow from my connected-and-logged-in-eyeware-with-on-board camera…I'm pretty sure I will decline to talk face-to-face with anyone who's wearing this kind of thingy.




Linda Holmes at NPR has a great story that mentions many of the reasons that I expect will demotivate me if I ever think seriously about getting a pair of these Google-istic glasses, among other reasons she suspects the contraption would make you "100 percent efficient—and therefore about half as happy."

I love the internet. It took me less than 60 seconds to get complete text of two online stories about this Google rapture and also an image of a happy user…I am merrily blogging on Google's blogspot.com…..I love Skype-ing with my loved ones…I'm hot to get news from online sources and I want Wikipedia and everything else at my fingertips….I just don't think I want it all in the corner of my eye…

Not yet, anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment