Monday, June 18, 2012

Did you like my essay?

I think data analysis is exciting, fascinating. Sometimes I like to write poetry. I enjoy writing a carefully constructed essay. I love computers.

So I'm conflicted. A recent piece by Randall Stross in the New York Times says that computer algorithms can judge a student's written essay just as well as human graders. Appropriate studies were done to compare the results of human and computer grades ("scores") for actual students' work, and the computers and the humans produced essentially the same results.


I'm not convinced. Even though the Stross story says that human graders spend an average of only three minutes grading an essay, I'd still prefer to have my essay graded by a real live person. I'd like to have a human being share the experience of my thought, even if only for three minutes.

A computer by design can't really effectively grade any really exotically creative aspects of an essay that is the product of a living brain, which reflects the life experiences and conscious thoughts of its body. A computer algorithm is going to grade all of the standard aspects of the essay. I'm pleased to believe that some essays have non-standard aspects. Some of those essays are the ones I'd really like to read. I think I've written one or two of them.

A computer can't enjoy reading an essay. And please don't go all Isaac Asimov on me and start talking about A.I….until the scientists figure out how to make a computer smile, or go all misty reading that sentimental poem, and grit its teeth reading that aggressively and cleverly provocative political diatribe, don't talk to me about computer intelligence.


A computer is never my target audience when I write something. I may be scribbling for my own pleasure. I may be writing to inform or teach my students. I may be crafting a piece that's intended to awake throbbing emotion in the minds of my readers. I never write anything with the intention of feeding it into the computer and typing "Here ya go, HAL, enjoy!" on the input device.


So, when I say "Did you like my essay?" I'm not talking to my Dell Inspiron 530, I'm talking to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment