Thursday, November 15, 2012

The wisdom of the Orient

"A man grows most tired when standing still."
Chinese proverb

Ain't it the truth?

When I was younger, without consciously thinking about it, I believe I was more willing to "stand still"…in many ways I believed I was satisfied with my life, and status quo felt real comfortable.

Life has changed for me, or, rather, a combination of circumstance and desire has changed my life.

A half-dozen years ago I reached the end of my working career, an explicitly bitter-sweet experience, I had a job that I loved, I worked closely and productively and wisely with a compadre who is still my very good friend, but my company (and industry: daily newspaper) was beginning to visibly implode….


Retirement put the status quo out of my life and out of my mind.

And I changed my outlook. I started working more with people, and enjoying the camaraderie, and I began to have some positive impact with organizations I'm involved in, and I made up my mind to do only the things that I want to do.

I'm not standing still, and I haven't gotten tired of it yet….

No comments:

Post a Comment