Thursday, February 26, 2015

“If you had a temple…”


“If you had a temple in the secret spaces of your heart,
 What would you worship there?
 What would you bring to sacrifice?
 What would be behind the curtain in the holy of holies?”

Leave aside, for the moment, any explicit thought of your own faith or creed or diminished vestige thereof….

This quatrain from poet Tom Barrett is an irresistible invitation, I think, for one to think about that which is truly mojo for oneself.

It’s not necessarily about the godhead. It might be.

Barrett says:
“I can't talk about God and make any sense,
 And I can't not talk about God and make any sense.”

I’m not talking about God.

I am moved to linger here, in the rapture of thought about what’s meaningful for me, about the thrill of learning, and about the endless indenture of commitment to the right thing, and about the loves that make me alive, and about how much I would give up to have more of these….


Barrett reveals an utter truth:
“In the quiet spaces of my mind a thought lies still, but ready to spring.
 It begs me to open the door so it can walk about.”

I’m ready for walkabout.










Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment