Thursday, May 26, 2016

Poetical thinking….


Poetry does not defy description.

On the other hand, imagining a full description of poetry would take a lot longer than watching “Gone With The Wind.”

So let’s give due respect to this effort to define poetry by Samuel Taylor Coleridge:
“The best words in their best order.”

That one jingles the chimes on my back porch, I can tell you.

Coleridge, by the way, is the Romantic poet, one of the so-called Lake Poets, who wrote The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan (“In Xanadu did Kubla Khan…”).

I think poetry is all about selecting exactly those words that say, as precisely as possible, with fully literate specific meaning, what the poet wants to tell.

I wish I’d said what Sam said.










Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2016 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment