Friday, May 13, 2016

A Rosie by any other name….


Every year I am temporarily fascinated by the Social Security Administration's annual revelation of most popular baby names for the current crop of new Americans.

For 2015:  Noah and Emma (same as 2014!!)


I don't think about baby names much. Noah and Emma seem a bit obscure to me, but of course they're entirely commendable names, bonne chance to all the kids who will take these monikers with them throughout their lives. More than 19,000 brand new baby boys were named Noah last year, and more than 20,000 new baby girls were named Emma--in fact, more than 1 out of every 100 female bundles of joy were given that name. Wow.

In case you’re wondering and your name is Antoine or Alianna, last year there were 999 baby names more popular than yours.


I checked my own name on the Social Security website, see here. It seems Richard dropped out of the top 5 list almost 70 years ago. So be it. What's in a name? Still. I like my name. Hope all those Noahs and Emmas feel the same.








Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2016 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment