Friday, May 22, 2015

My teachers


I want so much to teach the grandchildren, so many things....

I have ancient optimism about training the dogs....

Suddenly I realize: they create the teaching moments, hour after hour, day after day.

The pooches teach me to get excited about the ordinary things: taking a walk, sniffing the tree, meeting another dog on the trail, reveling in the great woods, sharing quiet space with my friendly fellow creatures....


The young children teach me to be patient as they grow up, so very slowly but at such great speed....

The kids teach me to care, so much, about the small world they live in, to get down on one knee, to squeeze into their world, when I must impose a time out for behavior that is so annoying, but, I repeat to myself, so transitory....to get down on one knee, to expand their world just a little bit more, when I can say "Good job!" or "you can hold the caterpillar in your hand" or "smooth the dirt over the seeds with your fingers, like this"....
  







Copyright © Richard Carl Subber 2015 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment