Saturday, May 5, 2012

Daniel R. Gilbert (1924-2012), R.I.P


Dr. Daniel R. Gilbert, 87, Professor Emeritus of History at Moravian College, died April 25, 2012.

I didn't know Dan Gilbert well enough to say he was my dear friend, but we had a friendly relationship and I know I join thousands of his friends and colleagues and former students when I say that. Dan was a memorable teacher, a gregarious guy, a confident man who loved history and loved his work and loved being very good at it.


He was very proud to recall that he joined the Moravian faculty in the 1950s as one of the first of a wave of young, secularly trained faculty who came to Moravian with Ph.D. degrees to boost and build the caliber of what has traditionally been a strong teaching institution. Dan and his cohort of academics who put teaching first, and the younger profs who followed them, have been the backbone of Moravian for 60 years.




Dan told me and many others that one of the secrets to his success was "never be boring in the classroom." He wasn't. He wasn't boring anywhere. It was a great pleasure to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment