Thursday, May 31, 2012

The wisdom of Woody Allen

"Eighty percent of success is showing up.”
Woody Allen (b. 1935)


Well, I don't have to tell you who Allan Stewart Konigsberg is, after the name change, I'm pretty sure about that.

I'm pretty sure you've watched a couple of his movies, at least you've heard of "Annie Hall" because I've heard of "Annie Hall" and not because it won an Academy Award, I just learned that, maybe you already knew…..

Anyway, I think ole Woody is probably pretty close to being right about the "showing up" part, you have to play to win and all that kind of stuff, you have to be there to grab the brass ring….

I prefer to think about Woody's endorsement of "showing up" as a call to be there and to be in it: show up and show some interest, get up off your rusty dusty and get in the action, sound off, jab your finger in the air every so often when you're making that big important point, stand up and speak up for something, don't let the egregious outburst of prejudice go unchallenged….

….and by the way, if anyone can give me even one pretty good reason to watch a Woody Allen movie all the way through, please do….

On the other hand, he does play a pretty hot jazz clarinet.

The wisdom of Jerry Seinfeld



No comments:

Post a Comment