Thursday, May 3, 2012

The wisdom of Edgar Allan Poe


Everything I write now is posted on my website:


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And so being young
and dipped in folly,
I fell in love
with melancholy."

Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)

Poe offers much to like for so many people, I think his poetry is under-appreciated….and try reading The Tell-Tale Heart when you're home alone some evening, and it's unpleasant outside, and you would really prefer to feel pleasant inside, except you're reading the masterpiece…

I really only like the first half of Poe's snippet, melancholy ain't my thing….."dipped in folly" suggests the exotic and self-indulgent excess of youth, mostly not fatal because it's usually hauled along by optimism and rescued once in a while by love….

If you're not personally in the "youth" category any more, be prepared to supply the love, let's keep pushing melancholy into the next county somewhere…

2 comments:

  1. I am getting this quote tattooed on me later this week, for a friend I lost..and for me! I stumbled across your blog gathering reference material, excellent stuff and I agree the more people can appreciate Poe and really understand his words and meaning, the more they will get out of it, and hopefully other fantastic works of literature as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can lighten your loss with memories....

      Delete