Saturday, May 12, 2012

The wisdom of Archbishop Desmond Tutu


"I can't for the life of me imagine that God will say,


     'I will punish you because you are black,
           you should have been white;
     'I will punish you because you are a woman,
           you should have been a man;
     'I will punish you because you are homosexual,
           you ought to have been heterosexual.'


"I can't for the life of me believe that is how God sees things."

Desmond Mpilo Tutu (b. 1931)
Archbishop Emeritus of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa


Wow. Pour yourself another cup of coffee or tea, we could talk about this one for a while. This is a little deeper than your standard Poor Richard's Almanac kind of stuff. I imagine there's some discomfort level here for just about everyone…it makes me back up one or two steps and whisper to myself: "The totality of my beliefs….are they fully consistent?...do those sometimes pesky angels on each of my shoulders have anything to argue about?...."




No comments:

Post a Comment