Monday, January 20, 2014

The wisdom of Albert Einstein (part 3)


"Those who have the privilege to know have the duty to act."

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)


I am slowly teaching myself to tolerate the awful reality that too many people don't feel this kind of self-imposed, constraining reverence for decency, civility and the common good.

I feel it, and I act on it, in my ways, small and not so small ways, private and public ways, for the sake of decency, civility and the common good. I'm happy to say that.

How do you feel?

The British statesman, Edmund Burke, famously (possibly) said "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Scholars agree that there is no documentary evidence that Burke actually said these devastating words, but his known writings include substantially similar sentiments.

And Plato said, "The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."




And my friend Bill down the street says "If more folks would get off their butts and do something good, do the right thing more often,  this world would be a better place." I think Bill nailed it.









No comments:

Post a Comment