Saturday, August 25, 2012

Neil Armstrong, R.I.P


"…one giant leap for mankind."

Neil Alden Armstrong (1930-2012)
American astronaut, first moonwalker

Mr. Armstrong climbed down that little ladder on the Apollo 11 lunar excursion module on July 20, 1969, and stepped onto the surface of the moon. The "giant leap for mankind."




It sure was thrilling. I was at Ft. Benning, GA, doing officer's basic training, nothing really fun about that, living in semi-wretched rented quarters in Columbus, nothing really fun about that either…the scheduled moonwalk was big news, lucky for me Neil did his thing while I wasn't on the base, so I sat there in my rented living room and I got to watch him taking those sort of hop-steps, going backwards down the ladder, until he planted both feet on the moon's surface. Yowee!

You really didn't have to be there (on the moon, I mean) to feel the brand new magical inspiration of knowing that a human being was walking on the moon. Way up there, way out there, y'know? Jules Verne was right, it was fantastic.

I think most of the time we don't take enough time to really fully imagine what the word "extra-terrestrial" means….

Hats off to Neil Armstrong, a real brave man who did real good!

No comments:

Post a Comment