Sunday, March 24, 2013

Movie stars in the Senate…..NOT!


I've pretty much made a personal vow that I'm not going to vote for any celebrities who are running for seats in the Congress.


For instance, even if I were a resident of Kentucky, I wouldn't be planning to vote for  Ashley Judd to run against incumbent Mitch McConnell. It's not because I have any favorable inclination toward McConnell, I mean, I'm not saying I wouldn't vote for McConnell if he were the last candidate on earth, but he's real real close to the bottom of my list. The man is a shameful partisan.

Basically, I'm opposed to the notion of any celebrity running for the Senate, or the House, or mayor, or whatever…

I think I'm just too suspicious that too many citizens would vote for a celebrity candidate BECAUSE of the celebrity, along the lines of "She was a great judge on American Idol, so I'm voting to send her to the Senate." Maybe we need more American Idol judges on the Senate floor, I'd be willing to chat about that, but still, way out of my comfort zone….

Nothing against Ashley Judd as a person, although, off the top of my head, I can't think of any Ashley Judd movies that I really liked.

And I realize that dissing celebrities as political candidates is the moral equivalent of being categorically opposed to taxi drivers or bank tellers or astronauts….my whole point starts to get indefensible very quickly.

I think the ideal political candidate is someone other than a celebrity, someone who brings a certain gravitas to the quest, someone who seems more habitually and conspicuously conscientious about the task and the challenge and the opportunity.

Unless we're talking about Liam Neeson.

Hey, I'm not a fanatic about this "no celebrities" thing….


No comments:

Post a Comment